Tuesday, 23 June 2015

Dazed Marrow















Dazed Marrow









How long have you been creating music as of now?
I took piano lessons in elementary school for about a year then stopped.  I then started making electronic music in High school for about a year as a hobby, then my computer broke so I stopped.  All through high school I would play around with guitars though, on and off.  I started getting serious about music in 2011, buying equipment and what have you, taking music classes etc.  So, I guess I've been making music for roughly 6 years.

I see you’re currently in college, what are your studies? I’m just going to assume you’re a geometry major with all the triangles I see on your pages.
My major is Computer science with a minor in cyber security, so I'm taking a lot of computer classes, coding, debugging, networking etc.  I should be done next year.


Do you have any other creative outlets?
I used to skateboard street all the time, but that was before taking all my university classes.  I used to jump down stairs and hit rails and all that, skate ledges, do flip tricks etc.


There seems to bit of hype over your video for “ Wait for the ☽‡☾ . Does the song itself relate to the video? What does the song mean to you?
I actually was bored one night and just found a video online with a bunch of girls in it and I just edited it and tried to sync it to my song.  I tried to edit the video in a way that would fit the mood of the song.  The song means a lot to me because it was fun to make and I used my old Roland SP-606 for triggering samples then added some software synths and the rest using Logic and Ableton Live.  I actually made part of the song on a bus.  When I listen to the song, it starts out slow and then picks up speed a bit, it kind of gives me a sense of hope and happiness.


What have your goals been since you started making music and have you achieved any? Where do you see yourself going with music in the future?
I didn’t really set any goals since I started making music.  I actually started making music while in high school using the program Acid and FruityLoops.  I would just make a bunch of songs for my own listening, transferring them to my MP3 player or MiniDisc player, and then just skateboard to the songs.  I just make music for fun, I usually make music only when I feel like it, when inspiration hits; and then I try to get my vision into audio form.  I try not to get involved in any projects with deadlines or whatnot because it’s not fun for me that way.  I only make music when it’s enjoyable to me.  The future is always open, so I’m not sure where I’ll go with music.  Hopefully I’ll get more fans or people that enjoy my music.  I’m always going to be making music; it just depends on what I put out for the public to listen to.


You were featured on Cleopatra Records Occult box. How did this come about for you? That’s quite a bit of popular names you’re lined up with, how did you react?
Yeah, that was pretty cool.  A representative from Cleopatra Records contacted me and asked if they can buy partial rights to my song “ Wait for the ☽‡☾ , I just knew they would use it for film or whatever they wanted.  I didn’t know it would be on a box set compilation until later.  I was surprised and in a state of awe of the names that would be on the compilation.  There are some amazing musicians on there.  I usually keep to myself so I was just like, wow, this is pretty sick.


From 3Oh!3’s Starstrukk to Vanessa by Grimes you have quite a few remixes. How do you value this compared to creating your own tracks. Do you enjoy it equally, more or less, etc.
I prefer to create my own tracks and beats etc.  Remixing is fun though, so I enjoy them both equally.  Either way, it’s usually me fiddling with a bunch of physical gear and my computer for hours at a time, uninterrupted, not even to eat, sometimes all day and then finally when I think I’m done I’ll listen to it the next day or so and decide if I need to make changes etc.  I get super focused and by the time I’m done with a song, my mind is usually drained and I feel like I just went for a long run or hit the gym all day.  There are almost always multiple versions of a song; I just pick the one that sounds the best to me.  


Do you have any favorite albums that you’ve worked with, if so which?
I don’t really have favorite albums, and after a while of working on a song or album, I’m tired of hearing the songs because I’ve had to work on them so long and listen to the same tracks over and over.  I’ll go days or weeks without listening to any sort of music because I just need silence sometimes.  For example, after I finished my “Gaeseki Dream Machine” albums, I wouldn’t listen to anything for a couple weeks, even if I was driving long distances I’d just enjoy the silence and listen to the sounds of life, of the world.  I enjoyed making the witch-house.com albums though, especially the Akira Tribute because I used my WMD bit crush pedal to create a high pitched synth sound and just used the knobs to change the pitch, it was pretty fun, the pedal created it’s own signal so I didn’t have to plug in any instuments.


Your music seems to have a lot of aspects from different genres, or at least influences. Can you shed some light on what musical influences you draw from?
I’m not too sure about my influences.  I listen to all sorts of music when I can, anything from punk to ska, to classic rock to electronic.  I love Aphex Twin, I grew up listening to all of Richard’s stuff.  I also like ambient calming music as well.  I guess it all depends on the mood I’m in.


Are there any other factors that play a role that aren’t musical?
My mood.  If I’m depressed or sad and want to make a song, that song will come out kind of dark or depressing.  If I’m happy the same will show in my song.  For example, I made one song to reflect my sadness after my cousin died.  It was kind of a remix, I made it only for myself, as an outlet for my sadness.  It’s called “MΔR✝IKΔ MΔRROW”.  


Does where you live impact you musically?
Not really, I’m kind of a hermit.  I tend to stay inside most of the time.


This might be a touchy subject but I’m curious to ask nearly all musicians I have the chance to bother. Do you care who listens to your music, why or why not?
I don’t care who listens to my music.  Music is a universal language that everyone should be able to listen to.


Where do you find your willpower to produce from? Making music is sometimes tedious, do you draw support from friends, family, maybe yourself?
I just try to get sick on myself and just make tracks, I try not to take breaks because it can throw off the vibe I had began the track with.  I usually don’t drink caffeine but if I’m really into a project I might have a couple cups of coffee or something to stay up to get through the journey.


With closure, do you have any shoutouts you’d like to give?
I’d like to give shout outs to my family and friends, Jungranotron and to any labels and musicians I have collaborated with; also, to my dogs, Yoshi and Kiki and of course, witch-house.com



Follow this link to check out his video for Wait for the ☽‡☾ by Dazed Marrow posted on his Facebook page:.

No comments:

Post a Comment